These are some things that have helped us work around food protein issues, especially dairy and soy. These items were at least dairy and soy free the last time I bought them. If you can’t find them in your stores, don’t be afraid to ask if they can order it in for you. You might be surprised. I’ve also found a local health food store willing to special order in anything I need. I sometimes buy things on www.Amazon.com or www.shoporganic.com when I don’t want to drive all over with two kids to buy one small thing we need.
Also see my list of dairy/soy free meal ideas. There is a snack food section.
**Always read the packages of everything you buy to make sure it is safe for you. Everytime! Ingredients can change at any time without notice. **
Grocery Store Items
- Earth’s Balance Soy Free Dairy Free Spread- I use for any baking that really requires a butter like substance. Also good on toast, bagels.
- Earth’s Balance Coconut Spread – works great in baking, delicious on toast. Some recipes you can’t taste the coconut at all and sometimes it is very prominent. Trial and error here.
- Spectrum palm oil shortening – I use for some baking and for frostings. Holds up in frosting better than Earth’s Balance. No weird flavors.
- Canola oil or Olive oil – I use this in place of butter for cooking and a lot of baking
General Food Items
- Tuna- Wild Planet Tuna and Whole foods 365 brand tuna – Almost every tuna on the market contains soy. Be careful- sometimes it is not listed as an ingredients but there is a warning later on in the label declaring it contains soy.
- Bread Crumbs- Whole Foods 365 brand is dairy and soy free.
- Croutons – 365 Everyday Value Organic Croutons -Seasoned variety from Whole Foods
- Lunchmeat- We eat Boars Head OvenGold Turkey and the new Oscar Mayer Selects
- Pasta Sauces – Lidia’s Tomato Basil, Alessi brand marinara or Full Circle Organic (most varieties), Prego Traditional
- Taco Shells – Hard: Old El Paso Stand N Stuff Taco Shells – Soft: Baja Low Fat Flour Tortillas
- Frontera Red Chile Enchilada Sauce
- Broth – Emeril’s Organic Chicken broth, Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth, Swanson beef broth
- Bouillon/Stock Maker- Penzey’s Chicken Soup Base/Seasoning
- Pie Crust – Wholly Wholesome traditional frozen pie crust
- Chocolate Chips – Enjoy life brand or Amanda’s Own (online- they are dairy free and current recipe is soy free)
- Hellman’s Canola Mayonnaise – I buy this at Target – tastes just like regular mayo
- Spectrum Canola Mayonnaise – I buy at Whole Foods. I used it before I found the Hellman’s.
- Salad Dressing – I make my own using Penzey’s Italian or Greek dressing mixes using olive oil. I make Penzey’s Green Goddess mix, Creamy Peppercorn or Ranch using Hellman’s canola mayo and water.
- Taco Seasoning- Penzey’s Chicken Taco seasoning
- Soy Sauce Substitute- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos- I find this at Whole Foods. On the sweet side but it works!
- Rudi’s brand whole wheat bread and bagels – always read every package but these are usually dairy/soy free
- Bagels Forever brand bagels (at least blueberry and cinnamon raisin) – I get these in the freezer section
- Dierbergs Bake at Home bread- some varieties
- Kangaroo Pitas
- (Homemade) This book has allowed me to make homemade bread easily while caring for two kids. No kneading required. Will review this book in more depth soon.
- Some Costco bread products – I found fresh French Bread and Rosemary Bread that were safe
- Some Whole Foods brand breads, both the sandwich sliced types and fresh artisan loaves
- Rice milk – I use Rice Dream right now- it is carrageenan free. I use this in baking all the time
- I use this for evaported milk by boiling it down/reducing it by half, add 1 tblsp canola oil and then use when cool
- Almond Milk – Also great for baking
- Oat milk – made by Pacific Natural Foods. Strangely found this in our grocery store’s organic broth section and not milk section. Hmm.
- Hemp Milk – Made from hemp. No THC. I’ve had hemp milk ice cream but not the boxed milk. Found in our local grocery store.
- Grain Milk- also made by Pacific Natural Foods but I haven’t tried this yet.
- Sunflower milk– haven’t tried this one yet
- Coconut Milk – available in most milk sections now. These are thin like milk. The coconut milk in a can is much thicker. I also use this in baking but coconut milk has a much stronger flavor than other milk substitutes.
- BioGaia -baby drops only are soy and dairy free. It does contain sunflower oil. Made a huge difference for us.
- Culturelle for kids – we mix it into Colin’s juice a few times a week when he doesn’t get Neocate Jr.
- Neocate Jr.- We’ve used Neocate Jr. since Colin turned 1 – mixing it into smoothies has worked the best
- Gummy Calcium Supplements – Lil Critter brand is tasty, soft and milk free. Ingredients listed on their site.
- Gummy Vitamins – Lil Critter Brand
Allergy Friendly Restaurants
- See my post here